Swanville School Board Briefs
In other business at Tuesday’s meeting, the Swanville School Board:
• Agreed to purchase 100 trees to be used as a tree line on newly-acquired property, as required. John Loxtercamp, who owns a tree farm and needs to remove 125 trees by a power line on his property, offered to supply the trees, dig them, deliver them and plant them in the new spot for $25 each. The School Board guesstimated that without this offer, the district would most likely have paid $250 per tree for those services;
• Approved coaching responsibilities for the football team which pairs Swanville with Upsala for the USA football team. Jay Loven will be the head coach; Rand Tretter assistant coach/defensive coordinator; Adam Gerads – assistant coach/offensive coordinator; and Mark Herbes assistant coach/special teams coordinator;
• Approved a joint purchasing agreement with the Anoka Hennepin School District, which would allow food to be purchased at a lower rate through that district’s contract;
• Raised breakfast rates by 5 cents and lunch rates by 10 cents for the 2012-2013 school year. Supt. Gene Harthan said the new calculations from the state suggest the district should raise meal prices by 13 cents, but capped it at 10 cents. When the rates take effect, elementary breakfast will cost $1.20 and the high school $1.25. Elementary lunch will cost $1.95 and high school $2.10.
• As the district does every year, placed all part-time employees on summer lay-off status to protect their Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) status;
• Accepted the resignation of Charles Reichert for his 18 years of service with the Alternative Learning Center (ALC). The Board will not replace Reichert’s position;
• Offered their statement of support for the Guard and Reserve;
• Heard Swanville students who have donated blood at least four times during their high school career would be awarded a red cord to wear during their graduation ceremony, courtesy of the American Red Cross as part of its “Red Cord Honors” program;
• Was invited to the staff/senior breakfast that will be served Friday morning, May 25, at 7:30 a.m.;
• Were reminded the Tech Team would take part in the Supermileage event in Brainerd using the car they built, Sunday – Tuesday, May 13 – 15; and
• Were reminded graduation ceremonies would be held Friday, May 25.
The Swanville School Board’s next meeting will be held Tuesday, June 12, at 7 p.m. in the high school library. The Board will not meet in July.