Other business that came before the Upsala School Board Jan. 23, included:
• Learning that the inaugural induction of members into the Swanville Hall of Fame will be held Saturday, Feb. 16, between the girls and boys basketball games and will include Stanley Nordin, 1937; Dave Holmen, 1954; Ralph Soltis, 1959 and Paula Lange, 1981;
• Electing by unanimous ballot, Dean Peterson as board chair, Marvin Wensmann as vice chair, Randy Pepin as treasurer and Karin Nelson as clerk;
• Following discussion, setting board compensation at $0 for regular or special board meetings, and $100 for all-day meetings (more than four hours, retaining both previous levels of compensation);
• Maintaining the district’s legal counsel as Knutson, Flynn and Deans P.A. for financial issues; Rupp, Anderson, Squires and Waldspurger P.A. for student and personnel issues and Mike Perry of Little Falls for other issues as needed;
• Retaining the Morrison County Record as the district’s official publication;
• Redesignating Stearns Bank of Upsala and the Minnesota Liquid Asset Fund as official depositories;
• Approving the payment of district financial obligations in advance of board approval via Imprest Cash Fund;
• Authorizing Supt. Gery Arndt and Colleen Harren to make electronic fund transfers;
• Approving the 2013 board meeting schedule, which will remain on the fourth Wednesday of each month except December, when it will be the third Wednesday;
• Approving a tentative 2013-2014 school year calendar;
• Approving a resolution directing the administration to make recommendations for reductions in programs and positions. “It’s the same motion we make every year; legally we have to do it,” said Peterson. “I don’t think we will be making any cuts in positions,” Arndt said;
• Accepting an anonymous donation of $1,500 to be set aside for an identified need. “This gift is wonderful and appreciated,” said Nelson.
• Approving maternity leave for Courtney Justin beginning Feb. 4 through April 2; and
• Approving the hiring of long-term substitute teacher Amber Kaltoff.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Upsala School Board will be Wednesday, Feb. 27, at 7:30 p.m. in the high school media center.